Windows NT4 Services Guide
To access the service configuration:
A service has 3 basic startup states :
- Disabled : The service will not be loaded (Some programs stops working, won't take memory, and quick boot time)
- Manual : The service will be loaded on demand (Slow program start, will take memory when needed, and quick boot time)
- Automatic : The service is loaded at boot time (Fast program start, will take memory, and slow boot time)
Explanation of recommendations:
- Recommended: For users who prefers things safe and easy
- Trimmed: For users who prefers only to have the most necessary started at the expense of manual maintenance and backup
Comments for recommendations (*
= Recommendation divert from "default" state):
- Lock: Increases security by disabling vulnerable features.
- Trim: Lessens CPU/RAM usage on the expense of loosing special features.
- Care: Enables Windows Self Maintenance, so it can take better care of it self.
- DUN (Dial Up Networking): Enables Internet access through a dialup connection like Phone-, ISDN-, Cable- modem (internal or external).
- Net (Network): Enables Internet access and filesharing via the network adapter to a hub, switch, router or another machine. The network is a simple one at home, without Domain Controller, Virtual Private Network or Internet Connection Sharing.
Other Service Guides: