Description:The Server service provides Server Message Block (SMB) service, which enables sharing of your local resources to the network (such as printer and files). It also enables named pipe communication between applications running on other computers and your computer, which is used for RPC.
Stopping this service results in:
- Disables sharing of files and printers on your computer with other computers on the network.
- Disables the computer from handling RPC requests.
- Disables named pipes communication with other machines.
- IIS User Manager will not be able to get access to the machine.
Note when service is disabled or uninstalled, then the IPC$ share will disappear and the command "NET SHARE" will give the following error message (Because the service is no longer available):
Net Config Server /?
Related Optimizing the file sharing network to handle more traffic
The service name is invalid.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185
Related Graweg NetApi32.dll Exploit
More Info MS KB314498
- Automatic, if wanting to share files and printers.
- Disabled, if no files to share. Uninstall the network component "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" to disable.
- Win8/Win7/Vista/WinXP/Win2k3: svchost.exe -k netsvcs (lanmanserver)
- Win2k: services.exe (lanmanserver)
- Security Account Manager (Vista+)