- Virtual Dimension - Create several virtual desktops in Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000 and XP.
- VirtuaWin - Virtual Desktop Manager for Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000 and XP.
- Yod'm 3D (Freeware Mirror) - Yet anOther Desktop Manager 3D for Windows XP and Vista (Was freeware but now taken over by Otaku Software and called Desk Space).
- Vista/XP Virtual Desktop Manager - Uses the new Vista DWM interface to create multiple desktops (Also supports Windows XP).
- Desktops 1.0 - Creates virtual desktops by using the Windows Desktop object, with a separate Explorer instance for each desktop. This means the windows and shown / hidden correctly when switching between desktops, but cannot be moved between desktops and the tray icons will be difference on each desktop.
People who like to multitask and have several applications opened at the same time, can experience that the standard Windows desktop and taskbar gets too over crowded. A solution to this problem is to create several virtual desktops, and then switch between the desktops depending on the task at hand.