Description:Enables automatic monitoring, download and installation of critical Windows updates. If the service is disabled the operating system can still be updated manually.
Note if wanting to disable this service one should first turn off the Automatic Updating feature:
- Win2k SP3+: Control Panel -> Automatic Updates-applet.
- WinXP/Win2k3: Right click My Computer, select Properties and go to Automatic Updates-tab.
Related How to configure the behavior of Automatic Updates
Related Configure and troubleshoot Automatic Updates
Related Fix a non-working Windows Update
More Info MS KB Q283629
More Info MS KB Q294871
More Info MS KB Q306525
More Info MS KB Q327838
More Info MS KB Q327850
- Automatic, if you don't want the hassle of keeping an eye on Windows.
- Disabled, if you are manually monitoring when Microsoft issues updates for your Windows version.
- Vista/Win7: Automatic (Delayed Start)
- svchost.exe -k netsvcs (wuauserv)
Updated: 22 September 2009