Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS)
The service offers:
- Routing service of LAN-to-LAN, LAN-to-WAN, virtual private network (VPN) and network address translation (NAT).
The routing possibilities of RRAS is more advanced than those provided by Internet Connection Sharing (Both using the same NAT module)
- Filtering according to filter rules which can be configured by tools like NetSh and Routemon(WinNT4)
- Remote access via dial-up(PPP) and VPN connections. Related Configure PPP/VPN MTU Size
When disabled the option “Incoming Connections” will disappear from “Network Connections” Control Panel.
More Info MS KB178993
More Info MS KB234025
More Info MS KB241540
More Info MS KB241545
More Info MS KB254322
More Info MS KB256644
More Info MS KB299801
More Info MS KB300434
More Info MS KB313564
More Info MS KB321516
More Info MS KB816110
More Info MS KB816573
More Info MS KB816581 (Replaces MS KB324264)
- Disabled, for security measures so it will not be listening for incoming remote request.
- Manual, if using a Virtual Private Network(VPN) or if acting like a router/proxy.
- Win8/Win7/Vista: Disabled
- Win2k3: Disabled
- WinXP SP2: Disabled
- WinXP: Manual
- Win2k: Disabled
- svchost.exe -k netsvcs (RemoteAccess)
- Base Filtering Engine (Vista+)
- Remote Access Connection Manager (Vista+)
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
- Remote Registry Service (Unofficial)