But there is also a faster way to install Windows 7 using only the upgrade DVD:
- Perform a clean installation using the Upgrade disc. Now you have a Windows install that is not activated.
- If there are Windows pending that requires a restart, then reboot first. You'll see an orange shield icon next to Shutdown in the Start Menu if this is the case.
- Open the registry editor (Regedit.exe) and update the following DWORD registry value:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Setup \OOBE]
MediaBootInstall = 0
- Open the command prompt (cmd.exe) in administrator mode, and execute this command:
- Reboot Windows and then launch the Activate Windows utility, and enter your product key. Now Windows is activated without installing it twice.