Configure and troubleshoot COM+ Event System service

COM+ Event System will fail to operate if it not having the proper access rights (Everyone:Read, System:Full, Adminstrators:Full) to the COM+ Catalog (%windir%\Registration), and will generate the following errors in the Event Log:

Event ID: 4609
Description: The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070005 from line xx of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.

Event ID: 778
Description: Error Code = 0x80004005 : Unspecified error COM+ Services Internals Information: File: d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\shared\util\svcerr.cpp, Line: 1259 Comsvcs.dll file version: ENU 2001.12.4414.308 shp

Event ID: 4689
Description: The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency in its internal state. This indicates a potential instability in the process that could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+ application, the components they make use of, or other factors. Error in d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\package\cpackage.cpp(1184), hr = 80070005: InitEventCollector failed

More Info MS KB909444

Note if the COM+ Catalog have become corrupt, then it can be re-built with the following steps:
  1. Reboot and start in Safemode
  2. Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and execute the following commands:
    • ren %windir%\System32\Clbcatq.dll Clbcatq.dll.bak
    • del %windir%\Registration\*.* /s
  3. Start the registry editor and delete the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \COM3]

4. Reboot and start in Normal mode.
  5. Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and execute this command:

rmdir /s %windir%\Registration

6. Open the Control Panel and double click Add/Remove Programs
  7. Select Add/Remove Components and click Next and it will reinstall COM+
  8. Re-apply the necessary service packs and updates for COM+.
More Info MS KB246499
More Info MS KB315296
More Info MS KB318731
More Info MS KB961938

Updated: 28 April 2012

Comments:

1. Gary Ayre says:

Outstanding mate had tried a lot to correct this COM+ catalogue prob with no luck....great stuff
    Cheers

2. Stuart Bale says:

Brilliant! Very liitle information on my particular error code - followed these instructions and problem resolved - took 3 minutes to sort what has been a nagging problem for several months. Many thanks

3. I had a similar problem but it only happened on startup, so the first thing I did was try and find the offending program using msconfig. After disabling the startup programs to find the offending one I found that it was a program called KADxMain for the Intellisonic Systray control. By disabling that one program the error messages didn’t appear – but I wanted my computer to work correctly.

When I checked my event viewer I found a COM+ error message remarkably similar to those in this article. I decided to use this fix.

IT WORKED!!!

The only thing is that the first instruction to delete the ~Clbcatq.dll file returned the message that no file by that name was found. I double checked every letter and space of the path and filename and tried again with the same message.

Before going on the next step I decided to check and make sure that there was a Clbcatq.dll file to rename. Maybe the fact that this computer was only a few days old had something to do with the “file not found” message?!?

When I found the Clbcatq.dll file I went ahead to the next re-naming step. There were no problems and everything else worked perfectly!

Problem solved.

Thank you!

4. chek says:

Thanks for this fix.

I'd been trying to solve Event ID 4609 DCOM errors, Win installer problems and W32:Access Denied messages for a week trying various suggestions from MS and around the web.

Your fix was the only one that worked.

AVG is installed with no annoying Sec. Centre warnings, Java is now installed and I can finally access Logical Disc Manager in MMC just fine.

Many thanks.

5. David says:

WOW ... looking for something like this for more than a month.

Worked perfectly. And smoothly (except for the ~Clbcatq.dll file not there.)

And so many others have same/similar problems also looking for months with so much bad advice.

Thanks.

6. DR J C HALL says:

I tried executing this fix in both Safe and Normal modes. None of the commands issued via command prompt would work--claimed it couldn't find the file/folder to be deleted/renamed/moved (and I triple-checked all the file paths as I entered them). I wound up performing all steps manually. The problem was not corrected. In addition, COMPAQ PC Help & Support stopped working because of "Class Not Registered," so now I can no longer run its diagnostics, view the error log, etc.

7. Snakefoot says:

DR J C HALL wrote:
    None of the commands issued via command prompt would work–claimed it couldn’t find the file/folder to be deleted/renamed/moved....I wound up performing all steps manually

Seems your computer is ready for reinstall if the environment variable %windir% is no longer present. What operating system ? Do you have administrator rights ?

8. Ksenia says:

I am having some troubles with Microsoft Component Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC). After pressing "Computers" it crashes, leaving events 4689 and 778 in event logger.
    I have tried this solution, which unfortunately did not help.
    In this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444 (You may experience various problems after you install the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-051 for COM+ and MS DTC) where I found the problem as:
    The computers node in the Microsoft Component Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC) tree will not expand.
    The proposed resolution of the problem did not work, also when I found the security update (KB902400) in the list of installed software, but after trying to uninstall it, it said that the update is already uninstalled.

Do you know if there is any other unexplored possibility? Need to access DCOM settings :-(

9. Snakefoot says:

Ksenia wrote:
    Do you know if there is any other unexplored possibility?

If you have tried the steps mentioned in the article for rebuilding the COM-catelog, then I have no other suggestions besides reinstall

10. Erwin Craps says:

Had this problem after windows update of today.
    Already had a while some problems updating when my 2K server was not freshly restarted. Think that prob is solved to.

Thanks
    I can go in weekend now....

11. Mrfreddy says:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem
    Date: 7/6/2009 3:24:56 PM
    Event ID: 4609
    Task Category: Event System
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: freddy-PC
    Description:
    The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043c from line 45 of d:\vista_gdr\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.
    Event Xml:

4609
    0x80000000000000

59967

Application
    freddy-PC

d:\vista_gdr\com\complus\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp
    8007043c

Sir i have windows vista home premium 32bit 1 Gb ram.. and i am facing BSOD Blue screen problem and when i checked the error it was the COM+catalgue same as mentioned :

Event Xml:

The question is can i apply your procedure to re-built and rectify this error following your steps and is it applicable on windows vista my friends? i tried but except for the ~Clbcatq.dll file not there i couldnt find exept this file Clbcatq.dll . so can i proceed in the procedure ?

Please i appreciate ur advice my friend i am suffering alot and thank you so much.

12. Lukas says:

Thank you very much for your advice. I have been looking for the solution for a very long time. You are a genius !!!

13. manoj kumar says:

Thanks beautiful tips

14. BB says:

Hey Mrfreddy, did you ever find a solution to your problem? I'm currently experiencing the same issue.

Thanks,
    BB

15. Martin says:

Deleting "~Clbcatq.dll" is optional.
    In case that this file exsists, it must be deleted to backup "Clbcatq.dll"

16. Snakefoot says:

I have now removed the step of deleting "~Clbcatq.dll", since it seems to confuse people. And I have changed the renaming to "Clbcatq.dll.bak".

17. Mike says:

many thanks for this easy-to-do instruction. Helped me a lot.
    greets