There are two ways to install the Active Desktop in this situation:
- Uninstall IE? and install IE4 and then install IE? again
- Install the IE4 Active Desktop package on top of the existing IE?
- Download the file (Usually acquired when downloading IE?)
- Extract the contents of the above cab-file to a directory
- Right click the now extracted Ie4shell.inf file and select install (Note a background popup might complain about a missing Wallpapr.htm press Ignore)
- Let it restart your computer
- Run The IE Repair Tool and do a repair (Note your Start Menu, SendTo might not work at this point)
- To run a command in WinNT4 press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to launch Task Manager or browse My Computer to start Winnt\System32\cmd.exe
- To run a command in Win95 press CTRL+ESC to launch Task Manager or browse My Computer to start Windows\Command.com
- If icons look garbled then check Repair incorrectly displayed icons
Note one should make sure that the language of the Active Desktop is the same as the operating system, as mixed binaries can lead to unpredictable results.
More Info MS KB165695
More Info MS KB217344
More Info MS KB293907