Reopen last browing session in Internet Explorer 8 (IE8)

2 September 2009 by Snakefoot | Comment » | Trackback Off
When closing IE8, then it doesn't ask if one wants to restore the tab-session next time it starts (Like IE7 did with "Open these next time I use Internet Explorer" checkbox).

IE8 now always saves the last browsing session, and if wanting to restore the tabs from last session, then one have different options:
  • Open a new tab, and it will display the option Reopen Last Browsing Session on the new tab page.
  • In the Command Bar open the menu Tools and click Reopen Last Browsing Session
I prefere to change my homepage (Control Panel -> Internet Options) to this url:

about:Tabs

When starting IE8, then the first tab will give me the option to restore the last browsing session.

Note another neat thing with IE8 is that it can "Reopen closed tabs", that was closed by accident. Just open a new tab, and it will present a list of previously open tabs.

Updated: 14 November 2012

Comments:

Comment by brenda - 5 September 2009 @ 6:24 Reply

how do i get rid of open last session message driving me crazy

Comment by Snakefoot - 5 September 2009 @ 13:24 Reply

brenda wrote:
how do i get rid of open last session message driving me crazy

I guesst the message you are referring to is:

Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly. Would you like to restore your last session or go to your home page?”

My guess is that you have addons installed, that is not compatible with IE8. They cause IE8 to always close down unexpectedly.

Try to reset IE8 by opening Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced-tab and press “Reset…”.

Comment by Paul - 22 September 2010 @ 22:48 Reply

I have the same browsing-session windows open everyday, all day. I’m not using tab-sessions because I want multiple windows open simultaneously. How can I restore or restart these multiple browsing-sessions automatically using IE8 on startup?

Comment by Snakefoot - 22 September 2010 @ 22:58 Reply

Paul wrote:

IE7 / IE8 supports multiple homepages. It is possible to make IE load multiple web-addresses at startup.

To configure the list of homepages open Internet Options, and on the “General”-tab and specify the wanted web-addresses. Another option is to click the caret for the Home-Button in the command-bar and choose “Add or Change Home Page…”

Comment by Satya - 17 December 2010 @ 20:13 Reply

about:Tabs is very good. working in IE9 as well. Otherwise I need to open a tab just to see the reopen last session option.

Comment by IRENE H. - 30 April 2012 @ 5:02 Reply

Why does my Network Access Protection Agent service say off? How I get it on & do I need it?