Create Windows 7 System Repair disk on USB stick
Windows 7 includes an utility to Create a system repair disc that includes Windows Recovery Environment.
The utility can only write to a CD/DVD, so extra steps have to be performed to create an USB stick:
- Use the utility to Create a system repair disc and burn it to a CD/DVD
- Prepare an USB stick to be bootable:
- Insert the USB stick, and let Windows discover the removable disk
- Open an Elevated Command Prompt.
- Launch the command line disk partitioning utility with this command:
- List the available disks on the computer:
- Choose the removable USB disk (“?” should be the disk number from the list):
select disk ?
- Clean all existing partitions:
- Create new partition:
create partition primary
- Mark partition as active:
- Format new partition:
- Copy the files from the burned CD/DVD to the now prepared USB stick
More Info Create a system repair disc
Related Creating a Recovery Disk on an USB stick