To exclude a file from System Restore:
- Make a copy of C:\Windows\System\Restore\Filelist.xml and save it as Filelist.txt in the same folder
- Edit Filelist.txt using notepad and add <REC>C:\ThePath\TheFile.ext<REC> to the <Exclude> section
- Disable System Restore by opening Control Panel -> System -> Performance -> File System -> Troubleshooting and check "Disable System Restore"
- Shutdown your system and boot using a Windows Me startup disk (To avoid the System File Protection)
- In DOS browse to C:\Windows\System\Restore
- Rename Filelist.xml to Filelist.old (To make a backup)
- Rename Filelist.txt to Filelist.xml
- Take out the DOS floppy disk and reboot into Windows
- Enable System Restore by unchecking "Disable System Restore"
- Reboot your system and now it will rebuild the system restore control file vxdmon.dat from the new Filelist.xml
- Remove this entry from C:\Windows\System\Restore\Filelist.xml: (Avoid System Restore to include the file in Restore Points)
- Remove this entry from C:\Windows\System\Sfp\Sfpdb.sfp (Avoid System File Protection to restore the Filelist.xml if changed inside Windows)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\FILELIST.XML, 00000000, 00000000, SYSTEM.CAT