It is possible to refresh the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive, which can be useful if wanting to test a registry tweak without needing to restart.
- Win9x/Me :
- Press the keys CTRL+ALT+DEL to get a list of running processes.
- End all explorer.exe processes.
- When the last explorer processes is being ended it will prompt you to shutdown the whole machine press "Cancel" to this request.
- After a moment it will prompt you for closing down explorer.exe press "Ok"
- The Taskbar will disappear for a moment while explorer stops and starts again automatically.
- Press the keys CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start the Task Manager.
- End all explorer processes so the Taskbar disappears.
- To start explorer again use the Task Manager again and go to the menu File -> New Task (Run...)
- Type in "explorer" and press Ok to start it again.
Updated: 23 September 2007