Configure master browser election in Windows 9x
When having “File and Print Sharing…” installed then Win9x/Me will try to participate in the master browser election. This behavior is controlled with the following values :
- Enabled : Specifies that this computer will participate with a higher priority in the master browser election, and will start an election at boot.
- Disabled : Specifies that this computer will not participate in the master browser election.
- Automatic : Specifies that if no master browser is found then it will initiate an election and participate with a standard priority.
To configure this value:
- Right click “Network Neighborhood” and select properties
- Select the tab “Configuration”
- Select the service “File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks”
- Press the button “Properties”
- Select the property “Browse Master”
- Select the wanted value
This can also be done through the registry :
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System \CurrentControlSet \Services \VxD \VNETSUP]
MaintainServerList=”0” (Automatic = “2”, Enabled = “1”, Disabled = “0”)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System \CurrentControlSet \Services \VxD \VNETSUP \Ndi \Params \MaintainServerList]
default=”0” (Automatic = “2”, Enabled = “1”, Disabled = “0”)
Related Description of Master Browser in the Microsoft Network
More info MS KB134304
More info MS KB150794
More info MS KB246489