The simple way to backup/restore the .pst file is to use the Personal Folders Backup utility.
Find the location of the .pst file to allow backup of the file:
- With Outlook98 or Outlook2000, make sure you have View / Folders selected.
- Right click on Personal Folders and select Properties.
- Click on the Advanced button.
- Under Filename, it will show the path and name of the current PST file.
More info MS KB196492
More info MS KB287070
Change the default location of the .pst file:
- Start Outlook.
- On the File menu, click Data File Management.
- Select the old .pst that longer should be used, and then click Remove.
- Click Add, select Personal Folders File (.pst), click OK, and then select the .pst file you want to use as the new primary file.
- Click OK.
More info MS KB291636
More info MS KB300593
More info MS KB830336
More info MS KB832925
Using the Inbox Repair tool to repair a broken .PST file:
- Search for the file scanpst.exe (Usually found here drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\scanpst.exe)
- Run scanpst.exe and point it to the damaged .PST file and press Start.
- When the scan is completed, check Make a backup of scanned file before repairing and press Repair.
More info MS KB287497
More info MS KB329910