Microsoft have released the first service pack for Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2. It should be available through Windows Update.
There are the following notable changes for the Windows 7 users:
- Improved HDMI Audio Performance.
- Support for Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX), which allows use of 256 bit registers on newer processors.
- Improved Support for Advanced Format (512e) Storage Devices
More Info Documentation for Win7 and Win2008 R2 SP1 (KB976932)
Note after having installed SP1, then one can perform a Disk Cleanup and Clean up System files, and remove RTM versions of files that have been replaced by SP1. This will save space, but also remove the ability to uninstall SP1 again.
- Right-click the drive where Windows 7 is installed and choose Properties
- Press the “Disc Cleanup” button
- Press the “Clean up System Files” button
- Tick “Service Pack Backup Files”