DIR2XML is a VBScript that works like the dir command, but outputs the result in a XML file. The XML file can be converted to any other format using XSLT, which gives different possibilities by creating the right XSL file:
- Scan a directory and output a playlist for all MP3 files (M3U).
- Scan a directory and output a text report (CSV) that lists all EXE/DLL files with version info.
- Scan a directory and output a HTML Web Page containing the file names and can be published on the Internet (Example).
How to use:
- Download the DIR2XML.ZIP and extract it to a directory
- Go to the directory and double-click DIR2XML.VBS, and a directory-dialog will popup
- Use the directory-dialog to specify the directory to scan (Careful directories with many files will take a long time to scan)
- Press Ok and it will scan the directory, when having scanned the directory it will say “DIR2XML Completed”
- The directory with DIR2XML.VBS will now also contain two new files DIR2XML.XML and DIR2XML.HTML, which can be viewed by Internet Explorer
- Version 1.0 (Initial)
- Outputs file-name, -path, -type, -extension, -version, -size, -modified date
- Outputs the file details sorted by directory and then filename
- Support command line arguments for specifying xml-, xsl- and output-file
- Includes a simple XSL for converting the XML into XHTML